About Me
Name: Fab Gal
About Me: Doesn't the name say it all? ;)
See my complete profile
FG Buzz

How to Leave a Comment

1. Click on the "_ Comments" link at the bottom of the article.

2. Click "Post a Comment"

3. Type your comment in the box.

4. Under "Choose an Identity," click "Name/URL" and type in a name or click "Anonymous"

5. Click "Publish Your Comment" - You're done!

Previous Posts
Archives
Fab Females

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Super Sites
Powered by

Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

 

 

The Fab Gal

Girl Talk for Fabulous Teens

 
  Monday, September 22, 2008  
 
 
Body Bonding
Hey there FGs!

So I heard two interesting conversations last week. The first went something like this...

I was at an ice cream party, and the girl who was in line next to me said, "I'm such a fatty. I had dessert for lunch and now I'm having ice cream. But I don't care, I want ice cream. I know I'm already a fatty."

The second exchange was like this...

Two girls came into the snack shop and one said she didn't want to get anything. The other said, "Oh, I need to eat. I'm fat."
"Well did you eat dinner yet?"
"No."
"See? Then you're not fat."

I thought it was the weirdest thing. Of course, none of the girls were really trying to be serious. But that's kinda the point. It's like that's what you're supposed to say. If you are with girls and you're eating, it's supposed to be bad, and you apologize. And then your friends are supposed to compliment you and tell you it's not true. Does that really make anybody feel better?

I'm not trying to criticize those girls. It's a pretty common habit, and I'm sure I've done it before without even realizing it. But sometimes our attitudes about food, especially when we're with other girls, are so messed up. It's like we bond over being "fat" and comforting each other. Really though, we should be able to eat, even ice cream, without feeling bad and apologizing about it. And we should be able to have friendships without hating our bodies.

I encourage you to be more aware of how you talk with your friends about food and your body. Recognize where and when you hear yourself saying these things. And maybe try to stop. Because you and your friends can enjoy food and feel good about yourself when you're together, without all of the "fat" talk.

xoxo

The Fab Gal

Labels: , , , , ,

posted by Fab Gal @ 9:12 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home